WOODINVILLE FALCONS SELECT BOYS BASKETBALL PARENT EXPECTATIONS
To provide a positive experience for players, families, coaches, and club volunteers it is important that we abide by the policies and procedures outlined here. Failure to meet these expectations can result in suspension of privileges to attend games and in severe cases, removal of the player from the team.
PARENT/GUARDIAN CODE OF CONDUCT
As a parent or guardian of a Woodinville Select Basketball player, it is expected that you are responsible for your behavior and other parents, family, or guests that you bring to the games. Please remember that this is youth basketball, so it is important that players learn to be a competitive athlete while being respectful and demonstrating good sportsmanship regardless of circumstances. Every adult (parents and guests) is expected to be a positive role model and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game. Words and actions while attending or participating in a Falcon Basketball attended event shall conform to the behavior in the following code of conduct:
- Sportsmanlike conduct is expected. Adults will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any coach, player, or parent such as berating, taunting; refusing to shake hands; verbal or physical threats; or using profane language or gestures.
- Respect the officials and their authority before, during, and after games and never confront officials at a game. Allow coaches to handle disputed decisions or calls made by referees, officials, or volunteers responsible for game rules.
- Privately communicate your concerns about behavior of program players, parents/guardians, guests, coaches, or volunteers to the coach of your team and/or the VP of the Woodinville Select basketball program. This should occur not at the end of a game but within 48 hours of the end of the game (48 hour rule).
- Ensure that your Falcon Boys Basketball player and you treat any coach, parent, player, participant, official or any other attendee with respect regardless of race, creed, color, nationality.
- Communication of any concerns, positive or negative, to the coach will be provided verbally. Email will only be used to reinforce discussion first made in person. Emails providing positive or negative input that are provided without first being articulated by an in-person interaction with the coach may be ignored by the coach at their sole discretion.
- All players must be picked up at the scheduled end of team functions. It is a reasonable obligation that club coaches, officers, and volunteers will ensure that players are not left outside of a gym at the end of practice without supervision. However, it is unreasonable to ask our coaches to put their plans on hold to repeatedly wait for players to be picked up from the team function. If a player is repeatedly not picked up on time, their playing time and their position on the team may be impacted.
- Parent/guardian volunteer hours during the Falcon Classic Tournament is a requirement for all families.
Depending on the severity of the infraction, a violation can result in the parent and the associated player being dismissed from the team. Enforcement options are outlined below.
The Board of the Basketball Club of Woodinville may take the following enforcement options should any infraction by a parent or guest of a parent or player occur:
- First warning: Parent or guest will be reminded of the conduct rule that were agreed upon and signed by the parent at the game by the Game Monitor. The game monitor will submit the warning to the Board and kept on file for 30 days. If no other warning is recorded within 30 days, the file will be discarded.
- Second warning: If a parent or guest is observed violating the code of conduct within 30 days of the first warning, the board will issue a warning to inform the parent or guest that the next infraction, regardless of lapsed time, will result in the parent or guest suspended from being allowed into the gym/court to watch the next Woodinville Falcon Boys Select Basketball game or tournament for that player. The second warning is kept on file for the remainder of the season.
- First Suspension: This is a result of a parent or guest formally given a First and Second Warning violating the code of conduct. The suspension requires the parent or guest not to attend the next Woodinville Falcon Boys Select Basketball game, including tournaments. If a parent or guest ignores the suspension, the coach will be required to bench the related player for that game. A suspension will be kept on file for the remainder of the season.
- Final Suspension: Any parent or guest receiving a second suspension due to conduct or is involved in any physical altercation with a player, referee, coach, official, parent, or other volunteer managing the game will be banned from all Woodinville Falcon Boys Select Basketball games and tournaments. Failure to comply can result in the player related to the parent or guest to be benched for any game or dismissed from the Woodinville Select Boys Basketball Club for the balance of the season and tournaments with no refund
Thank you for adhering to this code of conduct and for setting the example for good sportsmanship and respect.