I am starting to field some questions about what basketball is going to look like this year for our 4th through 8th graders and so I thought it important to provide an update on where we stand and what we are planning. I want to emphasize that the Basketball Club of Woodinville will be following all local and state guidance with respect to keeping our Future Falcon basketball players safe and healthy.
- Are we going to have a season? I am not sure. All of the Eastside Travel League programs rely on school district facilities, so our ability to have a season will depend on gym space. At this time, we are preparing as if the season is going to be completely normal and then we will adjust as needed.
- Who are the coaches? I am very close to finalizing an outstanding coaching staff for the 2020-2021 season. Short bio’s will be posted soon, but we have a tremendous combination of coaching experience, Falcon Pride, and basketball knowledge that will deliver a great experience for our players.
- Are we going to have Tryouts in September? I do not believe so. However, I have gym space requests in to utilize Woodinville High School as well as the Monroe School District. I have been told by Monroe that they are currently not renting out gyms, and am awaiting official word from Northshore.
- If we are allowed to rent gym space, tryouts will look completely different than in the past. The current King County phase 2 guidance for in-person inside training facility use is no more than 5 players to 1 coach, and the maximum number of people in a facility at any one time is based on a that specific facility’s square footage.
- I have heard that the season isn’t going to start until January, is that true? That is true for high school. The WIAA has announced that the basketball season will begin on January 4th. I do not know what this means for our program as our season is not attached to the high school and our governing body is not the WIAA
- If we don’t have tryouts in September what is the plan? At this time if the season does not start as planned, we have a 7-week development session ready to launch that would run from September 13th through October 31st. We will utilize what we learned during our summer program to offer a combination virtual and in-person program for our Future Falcon players.
Matt, Vice President Basketball Club of Woodinville – Select