2023-24 Season Select Tryouts
The Basketball Club of Woodinville (BCW) will hold tryouts for the 2023-24 select season in September 2023, times and dates TBD. Teams will be offered for grades 4-8.
- Who can try out for Woodinville Select teams? Tryouts are open to all students in the Woodinville High School feeder pattern in grades 4 – 8.
- Have coaches been finalized? We are actively recruiting to finalize coaches and team assignments for Select teams, if interested in coaching please contact: Shaun McGrath at email@example.com.
- Who will be doing the evaluations? Typically the coach for each team, coaches from our other teams who are not trying out at that time, and non-parent community members who know basketball and are committed to the success of the Falcon Program will do evaluations.
- Can I watch tryouts? No. Parents will not be allowed to watch tryouts (unless they are a coach). We have found kids do better without mom or dad's eyes on them.
- How many teams will the program have? Right now we are planning to have 1 team at each grade level (4th – 8th). The choice to have two teams will be based on the following: number of kids who are ready for the commitment and the competition, gym space availability, and coach availability. With all of these variables it is difficult to determine before tryouts if we are able to have a 2nd team at any grade level.
- How do you choose coaches? We evaluate coaches on the following criteria: depth of basketball and coaching knowledge, ability to develop our players at their specific grade level, ability to create the right environment and tone on the team and in the program, commitment to the long-term success of the Falcon program, and openness to coach the Falcon principles set out by our high school coach.
- What are the volunteer opportunities for Select parents? Select parents can hold any position on the Board, except VP High School. Available positions to Select parents include: President, Treasurer, Secretary, VP Fundraising (Falcon Classic), VP Fundraising (Sponsorships), and VP Select. Each VP position has several ‘committee’ level roles to help lighten the work and enhance Woodinville basketball player, coach and family experiences. Every family is expected to volunteer with the program (a minimum of four hours). This program is solely run by volunteers. If you are interested, please contact Roy Bordner to share your interest and hear about what is needed.