The Basketball Club of Woodinville (BCW) has opened registration for tryouts for the 2021-22 select season. Please register at https://go.teamsnap.com/forms/284531/signups/new
The first day of tryouts is coming up on Sunday, September 19th at the Overlake Church gym, 9900 Willows Rd, Redmond WA 98052.
Players are asked to arrive 15-20 minutes prior to your grade group designated time to check in. Each player should wear a numbered jersey, bring a water bottle, a basketball and a mask.
Once teams are established there will be a Select parent meeting to discuss details of the season. Questions about Select tryouts or season can be directed to Kara Roth, firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to bring/wear:
- Reversible Jersey
- Basketball with your name on it: 4th – 6th Size 28.5 & 7th – 8th Full Size
- Water Bottle
- Great Attitude
- Will there be a 2021-22 Select season? We are optimistic and working with the ETL and NSD to facilitate as close to a ‘normal’ league as possible. Specific details of the season are still a bit TBD as we wait for final confirmation from ETL and the release of gym space from NSD. In the meantime, we are planning to hold tryouts on Sept 19 and 26th at a local gym.
- Who can try out for Woodinville Select teams? Tryouts are open to all students in the Woodinville High School feeder pattern in grades 4 – 8.
- Are Select team practice and game schedules set? No. NSD is one of 2 districts to not yet release gym space outside the school control. We are working with them to resolve this. As soon as we have information about practice & game schedules, we will share it with you. Again, signs are positive and we are actively working to get it going.
- Have Select coaches been finalized? Not yet, but we are close. We are actively recruiting to finalize coaches and team assignments for Select teams, if interested in coaching please contact: Kara Roth @ email@example.com
- Who will be doing the evaluations? Typically the coach for each team, coaches from our other teams who are not trying out at that time, and non-parent community members who know basketball and are committed to the success of the Falcon Program will do evaluations.
- Can I watch tryouts? No. Parents will not be allowed to watch tryouts (unless they are a coach). We have found kids do better without mom or dad's eyes on them.
- How many teams will the program have? Right now we are planning to have 1 team at each grade level (4th – 8th). The choice to have two teams will be based on the following: number of kids who are ready for the commitment and the competition, gym space availability, and coach availability. With all of these variables it is difficult to determine before tryouts if we are able to have a 2nd team at any grade level.
- How do you choose coaches? We evaluate coaches on the following criteria: depth of basketball and coaching knowledge, ability to develop our players at their specific grade level, ability to create the right environment and tone on the team and in the program, commitment to the long-term success of the Falcon program, and openness to coach the Falcon principles set out by our high school coach.
- What are the volunteer opportunities for Select parents? Select parents can hold any position on the Board, except VP High School. Available positions to Select parents include: President, Treasurer, Secretary, VP Fundraising (Falcon Classic), VP Fundraising (Sponsorships), and VP Select. Each VP position has several ‘committee’ level roles to help lighten the work and enhance Woodinville basketball player, coach and family experiences. Every family is expected to volunteer with the program (a minimum of four hours). This program is solely run by volunteers. If you are interested, please contact Tom Roth at firstname.lastname@example.org to share your interest and hear about what is needed.